Because of our poor nutritional habits, we all suffer from nutrient deficiency to a certain degree. We can compensate by eating a lot of vegetables, drinking healthy juices, and savoring nutrition dense foods, but it might not be enough.
So, it is no wonder that nutritional experts recommend taking a bunch of supplements at a daily bases to improve your general health.
However, you don’t always have to spend money to improve your health.
There are some simple yet amazing health hacks you can try without spending a dime. They will dramatically improve your health.
While these hacks cost nothing, you would still have to spend a portion of your time. I guarantee you, they are all worth it, as they will increase your energy levels, performance levels, and power!
I use these hacks whenever I can, and you should be too if you are serious about improving your health.
Here we go.
Table of Contents
1. Sun Exposure
Reasonable (safe) sun exposure is probably the best bio-hack you can use to improve your health. Here’s why: this is the best way to maximize your vitamin D levels under the influence of sun’s ultraviolet B (UV-B) rays.
And Vitamin D is so crucial for optimal health.
Besides the red and near infrared ray from the spectrum of the sun will optimize the mitochondrial function of your body. Better mitochondrial health means better cellular health. Better cellular health means better general health.
How to expose your body to sunlight in a safe way?
- Start slow and gradually increase the duration.
- Start with just 30 seconds the first day. From there, increase the time you spend under the sun by 15 seconds every day.
- You should expose at least 30 to 40 percent of your body for efficient vitamin D production.
- Protect your eyes and face. The skin there is fragile and they contribute little to the production of vitamin D.
- Never ever get sun burned. This is a huge mistake.
- Spend the rest of the day in the shade wearing clothes.
When electrons from the surface of the earth flow into our body, and the other way around, we say we are grounded.
Why is this important?
As a species, we have walked the surface of our planet barefoot for millennia. We have maintained the same potential as the Earth all this time. The electron flow back and forth to and from the Earth helps the mitochondria of our cells function better. This constant flow of replenishing Earth’s electrons reduces inflammation. It improves the immune system and circulation. It is very much like the least expensive antioxidant supplement. Moreover, it reduces the artificially-generated electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and protects our body. When we are grounded to earth, our bodies are shielded from these fields by the Earth’s electrons.
But today, we live in a cozy, isolated environments. We are insulated from the elements, weather, soil, water… We wear rubber shoes, surrounded by harmful EMFs all the time. Grounding is nowhere to be found.
So what can we do? Here are some tips:
- The best thing is walking barefoot on sand. If you live on the coast, nothing can be simpler than that.
- Avoid walking barefoot on grass. The grass will suck up your energy supply. In my opinion, it is much better to walk barefoot on dirt, ground, or concrete.
- Use grounding (earthing) shoes.
3. Rhythmic breathing
Rhythmic breathing is such a simple and effective health hack that everyone should be doing it. It has its origins in the Vedas, and many yoga teachers use it in their regular practice.
But the reason I’m mentioning it here is that breathing, if done properly, alkalizes your blood. The normal pH values of your blood are between 7.35 and 7.45, which means the blood is slightly alkaline.
By proper breathing we mean deep calm breathing as opposed to shallow or fast breathing.
If you breathe rapidly, hyperventilation causes extreme alkalization, which is also not a good thing. On the other hand, if your breathing is too shallow, your blood becomes acidic.
Not only does shallow breathing fail to provide enough oxygen for your body, but it also causes carbon dioxide accumulation in the blood. This decreases the pH value of your blood, causing acidic environment.
What happens if you are a shallow breather? You are simply filling up the top of your lungs, without moving too much the abdomen.
Instead, you should be filling your entire lungs, and emptying them completely.
Conscious rhythmic breathing takes time and effort to be mastered. There are numerous types of breathing exercises. They can be simple or very complex. Here we would like to refer you to the Wim Hof method described here.
Meditation is so important for your health that you should be doing it every day. In fact, this tip should be on top of this list. That’s how important meditation is. It decreases stress and anxiety, renews your energy store, and improves physical and mental health. Meditation sets into motion the alpha brain waves, which promote heightened awareness and relaxation. Meditation is exactly what you need if you think this practice is a waste of time.
Here is how you can meditate:
- Find a quiet spot where no one is going to bother you, and focus on your breathing.
- As you follow your breathing, pay attention to the physical sensations. Don’t do anything with them. Just feel them without interfering, judging, or trying to mess with them.
- When some thoughts come, let them go by, and return to your primary task, which is following the breath.
- That’s it. Do this meditation exercise for 10 minutes every day, and you will soon notice its positive impact on your life.
Smiling is an instant mood enhancer. You don’t need science to tell you that, although there is plenty of science to back this up. Just a simple act of smiling can free you from stress, reduce blood pressure and give you an instant boost of positive mood. For an extensive list of health benefits of smiling check this post. If you don’t find anything funny, fake it, at least at the beginning. Even fake smile counts, and it will provide you with a lot of health benefits.
Do you have a health improving tip that doesn’t cost any money? If you do, would you consider sharing it in the comments below?